By default, many of ExakTime Mobile's features are adjusted to fit the essentials for basic users; however, this may not always be the best setup depending on company needs and compliance.
One behavior that is enabled by default is ExakTime Mobile automatically logging out and taking employees to the pin pad after clocking in/out for themselves.
What is Happening
The default behavior for employees clocking in/out for themselves on ExakTime Mobile will automatically log them out to the pin pad screen. This allows them to share their device with other employees that need to clock in/out as well.
It is important to note that logging/signing in/out to ExakTime Mobile is not the same as clocking in/out. Successfully entering a mobile pin into ExakTime Mobile logs or signs an employee in, but they will still need to create an in or out punch via the Time Clock screen in order to clock in/out. Subsequently, an employee can sign/log in and then sign/log out via the menu without clocking in or out.
Therefore, a user can be logged out but still clocked in and vice versa, or any other combination of the sort.
Exceptions to Automatic Log Outs
While ExakTime Mobile will automatically log out after the employee clocks in/out, there are situations where this will not occur and require the employee to manually log out:
- If the employee has permission to edit ExakTime Mobile settings, such as an Administrator or Supervisor, then it is assumed that they would continue to perform other tasks after clocking in/out.
- If the employee uses the "Manual Meal Break" option, they will not be logged out automatically so they can end their meal break appropriately.
- If an employee uses the "Clock For" function to clock in/out, they will not be logged out. As the "Clock For" permission is generally used by supervisors to clock in/out for other employees, it is expected for them to perform other tasks. This is true for situations where an employee uses the "Clock For" function to clock in/out for themselves.
When to turn on Automatically log out after clocking in or out
This setting works best if you have multiple users clocking IN/OUT separately on one communal device. Once they make their punch, the device will log that user out automatically allowing the next person to log in and make their punch as needed. This mitigates the occurrence of users accidentally punching IN/OUT as someone else. Leaving this setting on will not be a detriment to those who clock in on their own device; it just means they have to enter in their pin to make each punch.
When to turn off Automatically log out after clocking in or out
The predominant reason for turning this setting off is if you have enabled GeoTrakker. In order for Geotrakking to function properly, the ExakTime Mobile app must be open (in the background at the very least) and the user must be logged/signed in and clocked IN. If a user logs out while still on the clock, this will disable GeoTrakker.
Additionally, if every user has their own ExakTime Mobile enabled device, turning this off reduces the number of times they need to enter their pin. It also allows the device to sync optimally based on the sync frequency set under Mobile Settings of ExakTime Connect.
Adjusting ExakTime Mobile Behaviors
Depending on your need, you can use "Mobile Settings" to ensure all copies of ExakTime Mobile utilize the same settings or adjust the settings individually on ExakTime Mobile.
Log Out Automatically for All Devices
- Go to Manage and click on Mobile Settings.
- Enable Mobile Settings if it's currently disabled.
- By default, the option for Auto-Logout should already be enabled. If it isn't, then enable it.
- Press Save at the bottom if any changes were made. Your employees will need to sync their device so they receive any changes made.
If you would like to explore the other Mobile Settings options, you can refer to the following dedicated article.
Log Out Automatically for Specific Devices
If this is supposed to only be for specific devices such as a shared device at one location and personal devices at another, then you will not use Mobile Settings. If Mobile Settings has been enabled, you will want to disable it. Instead, you will need a user with sufficient permission on ExakTime Mobile such as an administrator to change the ExakTime Mobile app settings.
- Press the menu button in the top left of ExakTime Mobile and press Settings.
- If using Android, look for the setting "Log Out After Clock In/Out" and enable it. If using iOS, first press General, then enable the option.