Categories are an organizational tool to categorize employees, locations, cost codes, and equipment for easier sorting and report filtering in ExakTime Connect and/or AccountLinx. They can also be used when adding an expense to sort the employee list based on the employee category.
Table of Contents
Creating a Category
- Go to Manage then click on Categories.
- On the categories page, click Add Category at the top.
- Specify the entity that the category should be associated with by using the "Category Type" drop-down menu and enter a name for the category.
- Press Save or Save & New until finished with adding categories.
Assigning a Category
- Navigate to the entity list for the entity that you want to assign a category to. Click the pencil icon to the left of the entity to view its details.
- From the general tab, go to the "Category" drop-down menu and select the category to be associated with the entity. Only one category can be assigned with an employee, location, or cost code at a time.
- Save your changes when finished.
Using a Category
In ExakTime Connect
Once a category has been assigned to an entity, it can be used to group or sort the respective entity lists.
Grouping Entity Lists
In your employee, location, cost code, and equipment lists, you can use the "Category" in the Column Manager to group up the entities based on the category.
Sorting Entity Lists
In your employee, location, cost code, and equipment lists, you can click the "Category" column header to sort the list based on the category name. If the "Category" column is not included as a column, you can use the column manager to add it to the list.
Filtering Employees when Adding an Expense
When adding expenses, you can filter and group your employees based on their employee category to quickly view and/or select similar employees. This can be useful when an entire group of employees needs the same per-diem expense associated, for example.
If you are interested in tracking expenses for your employees, you can refer to the following dedicated article.
You can select a "Category" for your report filters to quickly focus on the necessary data.
If an employee category has been assigned to your employees in ExakTime Connect, it can be enabled in AccountLinx to separate employees in the employee list based on their respective categories.
The steps for this can be found in the following article.