"Standard Imports" uses a pre-defined layout or format that populates data in specific fields within Core HR. Standard imports are commonly used when setting up your account and getting your data into the system for the first time. Any file imported through "Standard Imports" must match the import layout as instructed exactly.
Our Standard Imports use specific formats and layouts defined by the "Import Type". These Import Types are used to help you create the import file and identify what the "Column Headers" should be (what data is included in the file), what type of data each field needs to be (text, date, number, etc), the maximum field length, if the field is required for the import to execute, and any necessary notes about the import fields.
The Standard Imports page also allows you to select any Custom Import templates created from the Custom Imports page.
Expand Data, expand Imports, and click Standard from the menu.
Supported File Types
The following file formats are currently supported:
- Microsoft Excel
- CSV (comma separated value)
- Select the "Import Type" that matches the data you are importing with the provided drop-down menu.
- Select your import type and click Import Layout to view an example of the selected import layout. You can also refer to the import layouts in the following section.
If you have set up a custom import that is set to import files manually, you can select the custom import by selecting "Custom Import" from the import type and selecting your custom import from the "Custom Import" drop-down menu.
- Add new Lookup Values found in the file for Department, Employee Type, Job Code, Termination Reason, and User Defined Lookup fields - This option is only available when using the "Employee" import layout. For more information about this option, please refer to the following section.
- Click Browse to select the Excel/CSV file that has been created/saved and enter the name of the worksheet that contains the data to import (i.e. Sheet1, Sheet2, etc).
- Click Import File.
- Refer to the "File History" for the results to review any successes and/or errors.
Please Note for Employee Import Type
The "Employee" Import Type offers additional functionality to add new lookup values to Core HR automatically by checking the option for "Add new Lookup Values found in the file for Department, Employee Type, Job Code, Termination Reason, and User Defined Lookup fields". If enabled, the system will add any new values automatically to the system as they are found within the imported file.
For example, if a "Department" is specified in the Import File, but does not already exist in Core, the Department will be added during Import. This can be a very helpful setting when you have many Departments in a company so the system will add the values so you would not have to manually add them in under Field Value Setup.
For User Defined Lookup fields 1–15, the User Defined Lookup field needs to be named under the Field Value Setup prior to importing the data so that the field is visible on the employee profile. For more information about setting up user defined fields, you can refer to the following section.
Keep in mind that if there are typos or differences in the word case (Exempt vs EXEMPT) in the values in the file as compared to the system, ‘duplicate’ values will be created.